The Teatro Pilipinas project was started by Jose Estrella in 2008, funded by the Commission on Information and Communications Technology (CICT) in cooperation with the University of the Philippines through the Department of Speech Communication and Theater Arts under the College of Arts and Letters.
The original website was designed and developed by Alex Maximo and the logo was designed by Lex Marcos. Marili Fernandez-Ilagan was the first to admin the site.
I came onboard the project as web administrator and researcher in June 2010. The first thing I had to do was document for the Virgin Labfest 6. The website, with its primary purpose of being a directory, was found to have not only a very limited server space allotment but was also generally lacking in the capacity and features to serve as directory. By the end of July 2010, we decided that we needed to totally re-do the website and by August had transferred the domain into a different registrar and host. The original web developer quit on the project in November 2010, and since then, the project had been largely on hold.
After months of studying and meetings back and forth, we finally arrived at what we actually needed and wanted the website to be.
I did everything on the test site, with the features we needed in mind, and after everything seemed to be working fine, I had the help of H in uploading and configuring files from the test site to the actual site. And in the end, came up with this.
The site is, of course, in beta, and I imagine there might be a lot of changes in the coming days as the website is put into use but at least we got that Community and Directory feature going. We are still working on the Library of scripts, and that feature is coming soon.
I also created a separate Flickr account for Teatro Pilipinas and a Facebook account! Of course right now, only my photos are in that Flickr account, but I hope that as we go along, I’d also be able to create a more comprehensive gallery for Teatro Pilipinas.
I’m still thinking about whether I should create also YouTube or Vimeo account.
I uploaded all the content from the old site and they are all up on the site right now. I hope to get more new content as we go along, and soon I hope. (Ahem, more work….)
For the meantime, I will be needing the community to log in and register as users so we can fix bugs and get this project rolling.
Many thanks to all those who helped make this project possible, especially to those who had the tenacity to see this through, despite the astounding number of hurdles we had to undertake. Cheers everyone! (Now where be my bed so I can now finally rest and sleep.)